9/5/08

Assignment #2 Part 2

Select a book (any genre) whose format appeals to you. Tell us, your faithful readers, what the format of the book is, post a picture of the cover, and hyperlink the image to where we can purchase the book online, because we will surely run right out and do so.

I like my art books.

I recently got a book from a friend of mine, called bauhaus 1919 - 1928 (lower case on purpose obviously). It was edited by Herbert Bayer, Ise Gropius, and Walter Gropius. It was first published in 1938, and my copy, the third printing, was published in 1959, in hardback. 

The pages of the book are 7.5 x 10 inches, which is a 3:4 ratio. Interesting, because this is a ratio that is commonly used for painting canvases. It works well as a compact book, with still enough space to create layouts that breathe and contain a substantial amount of information.

It's based on Bauhaus practices. After the chronology of the book passes 1925, the rest of the book is set without capital letters, in accordance with the Bauhaus typographic practices introduced then. There is a very apparent grid that is played with throughout the book. In the end, who better to tell the story of the Bauhaus than those that were directly involved. 

I couldn't get a picture of the outside sleeve, but here is a rather bad picture of the hardcover of my edition:



You can purchase the book on Amazon.com, here.


4 comments:

David Wolske said...

Nice book selection, Trevor. I suggest reading the book project handout where format is clearly defined, then editing your post to fulfill the assignment requirements.

Spencer Whittington-Charles said...

I really like the design of your blog. My only suggestion is developing a clearer color palette... or maybe just utilizing your color palette more effectively. *shrugs* Or maybe, here's a thought, just sucking a bit less. Yeah?

Trevor Woods said...

Word

I should have thought about looking at the handout before.

jayne said...

Pretty sick chubs. I love the hands. They are a very successful pattern. The only thing that stood out to me in your blog that I would change, is some of your text is pretty small... the date and comments to be exact. But that's really not a big deal. It's really just a selfish criticism on my part cuz it took me a minute to find where to post this shiz. Peace out.